Friday, October 20, 2006

Is the modern State of Israel a colossal mistake?

The title of this article is not a typo, and, no, I am not playing a practical joke with a big GOTCHA waiting at the end just for a few yuks. The truth is, I am seriously beginning to believe that creating this modern "State of Israel" was, in fact, a tremendous mistake and that this entity doesn't really have any justifiable right to exist.

Yes, MZ is serious.

I just can't deny the facts anymore, gang. Simply put: A Jewish State ruled by progressive secular liberalism instead of Jewish Law is an abomination. I just can't get past the fact that if Israel is not based on Jewish Law than why in the world should it exist at all? What do we need it for?

Seriously, I want to know from someone, anyone, a worthwhile reason for the Jewish State to exist if not to fulfill our biblical obligations. I have racked my brain over and over again, and all I can conclude is that a political Jewish State that is not based on Jewish Law is nonsensical.

Think about it. As Jews, we can freely live in any western country in the world, and have everything from a secular perspective we could ever want. We need another nation like all the others like we need a hole in the head. We can have sexy nightclubs anywhere; gay parades anywhere; fine dining anywhere; liberal universities anywhere; but Halacha can ONLY be the Law in a Jewish State and without that pursuit we are wasting our time, money and innocent lives for nothing but inane, empty dreams.

Seriously, what is the point of the "Medinot Israel" facade? To become the Utopian enclave of western secularism? To become the 51st State in the Union?

Help me out here, because I just don't see it.

Over Shabbos I'll be giving these conclusions more thought. Bereishis (In the beginning...) is the parsha, so it is a good time to ponder heavy subject matter like this.


-MZ

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Respectful debate and dissent are welcomed. MZ reserves the right to censor for any reason without explanation.